Hospital Network & Systems Engineer
Company: Natividad Medical Center
Posted on: May 8, 2022
Position DescriptionApplication materials will be reviewed in a
continuous basis to fill current and future permanent and temporary
needs. Please allow up to (2) two weeks for processing of
application materials. (Postmarks and faxes not accepted.) The
eligible list established by this recruitment will be used to fill
current and future permanent or temporary vacancies as they arise.
. Natividad offers up to a $5,000.00 sign-on bonus to candidates
hired into a permanent position. Exam# 21/40K01/03CR.
POSITION DESCRIPTIONNatividad is currently seeking to fill two (2)
full-time permanent Hospital Network & Systems Engineer. Under
direction, the Hospital Network & Systems Engineer anticipates,
develops, designs, implements, operates, and maintains Natividad's
hospital-grade systems infrastructure and technology components to
ensure the goal of 99.99% reliability. Performs complex
trouble-shooting of the Hospital Computer Information Systems
(HCIS) network, and systems, utilizing expert trouble-shooting
tools; responsible for all aspects of medical data communications
equipment and services, including biometrics equipment; evaluates
and tests new technology related to hospital and clinical data
communications. Performs above in accordance with the Patient
Safety and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA)
Acts, The Joint Commission (TJC) and other regulatory agencies.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICSThe Hospital Network and Systems
Engineer is a fully experienced lead-level classification,
responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of
Natividad's information systems infrastructure and all associated
equipment, data, related software and applications. Incumbent
engineers will be responsible for bandwidth and security
requirements. Incumbent works closely with vendors and technical
personnel from other Natividad departments and may act as the
technical lead in IT-related project teams, and has the
responsibility of evaluating and testing new technology related to
hospital and clinical data systems and their communication within
Hospital Network Hospital Network and Systems Engineer is a unique
class within the County. The potentially high consequence of
errors, along with the nature, focus, diversity, and scope of
responsibilities require thorough knowledge of the Patient Safety
Act and HIPAA as applied to data systems, clinical and hospital
specific software and protocols, knowledge of best practices in the
design, development, maintenance and administration of a medical
grade hospital-based LAN's and WAN's, as well as statistical
analysis and reporting, performance measures, performance
improvement techniques, and the frequent use of discretion,
initiative and independent judgment. Incumbent performs duties as
individual contributor, as team leader and/or as project manager,
as directed by the Natividad Chief Information Officer (CIO) or
designee.Examples of DutiesTHE SIGNIFICANT DUTIES OF THE POSITION
ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Designs and implements short and long-term strategic plans to
ensure infrastructure capacity meets existing and future
requirements; anticipates Natividad's networking and business
system needs as new service lines are envisioned and
- Designs, implements and maintains Natividad's medical grade
network and server activities to ensure a secure and stable
environment for all of its users.
- Develops, implements, and maintains policies, procedures, and
associated training plans for infrastructure administration and
- Engineers and anticipates capacity and security requirements;
develops and conducts network traffic and capacity studies, and
- Assists with the planning and deployment of infrastructure
- Installs, configures and maintains Natividad's advanced medical
grade Cisco-based networks Local and Wide Area Network
- Proactively manages and monitors the Natividad's IT
Infrastructure using performance monitoring tools and alerts, such
Solar Winds, Vendor imbedded tools sets such as CISCO, Meraki,
NetAop & Microsoft Wired & Wireless Network Analyzers and Fiber
Optic Network Diagnostic tools.
- Conducts research and makes recommendations on products,
services, protocols, and standards in support of all infrastructure
development efforts. Interacts with vendors, outsourcers, and
contractors to secure infrastructure-specific products and
services. Conducts feasibility studies for various upgrade
projects, improvements, and other conversions.
- Assists in the day-to-day operations monitoring, optimization
and growth of Hospital's Data Centers.
- Provides highly skilled technical assistance in network and
server planning, engineering, and architecture; provides resolution
for network and/or server problems.
- Creates and maintains troubleshooting guidelines and associated
support documentation on problem identification, fault isolation,
estimation of effort hours required to complete problem resolution,
and systems restore in the event of a critical system failure.
Assists in providing troubleshooting and/or disaster recovery
services to client remote networks as needed.
- Designs and maintains up-to-date documentation of network
design, operations and procedure manuals and other technical
- Practices Information Technology asset management, including
maintenance of component inventory and related documentation.
- Conducts portions of and/or assists other in preparing
materials for technical presentations made to staff.
- May assist in training less experienced personnel as assigned
and required.Examples of Experience/Education/TrainingTHE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following
knowledge, skills and abilities:
Thorough knowledge of:
- Microsoft Server Operating systems, NetApp or equivalent
Enterprise SAN & NAS Storage Systems, VMWare Administration, CISCO
UCS Blade Server Hardware
- Multi-layer switching including configuration and
troubleshooting in an enterprise LAN/WAN environment.
- IP Routing Protocols (IGRP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP).Working knowledge
- Medical terminology.
- Principles, practices, and current trends in hospital and
clinical organization and administration.
- Requirements of the Patient Safety Act and HIPAA regulations,
as related to information networks in a clinical/hospital
- Familiarity with Meditech or equivalent EHR technology a
- Principles and practices of project management.
- Team dynamics and team building.
- In depth knowledge of personal computers servers running on
Windows operating systems services & tools including Active
Directory, IIS, DHCP, DNS, Group Policy management, Print Services
and Power Shell scripting.
- Experience with Backup Applications such as Rubrik or
- Experience with Cloud Service Providers such as Microsoft &
Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Experience with Office 365 Applications such as Exchange Online
& SharePoint Online
- Experience with Mobile Device Management (MDM) technologies
such as Microsoft Intune, Meraki MDM or equivalent
- Experience with Patch and Application Deployment such as SCCM
or equivalent technologies.
- Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS), Secure ID, IPSec, and Token
- Voice Technologies and IP Telephony.
- Standard Telecommunications Circuit designations such as DS-0,
T-1, DS-3, OC-3, and OC-12.
- Data Communications network design, integration, configuration
principles and practices.
- TCP/IP protocols RIP, BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, SNMP and RMON based
network management and monitoring tools.
- Use of data packet analyzers and network troubleshooting
utilities, such as Sniffers, first level Protocol Analyzers, Trace
Routes, PING (basic and extended) NBSTAT, ARP.
- OSI Layers 1 through 4 and associated equipment: Digital
Transmission Systems, switching and routing equipment, circuit
termination equipment, V.35, T1, DS-3, Frame Relay.
- Wireless Technologies based on: IEEE 802.11a/b/c, 802.11g, and
broadband 2.5/ 5.0 GHz bands.
- In depth knowledge of CISCO & Meraki Switches & Wireless Access
Points.Skill and Ability to:
- Work with applications development teams/vendors to identify
and mitigate network & systems impacts of application changes
upgrades and implementations.
- Work with clinical and management staff to understand business
requirements and help them understand how technology tradeoffs
- Learn and apply new technologies to NMC network
- Communicate effectively with medical staff, both orally and in
- Utilize project management tools.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of data and information
- Work under pressure, with tight deadlines, and minimal
- Take initiative; work independently and in team
- Effectively analyze, identify, and diagnose data networks
related problems and take corrective measures or make
recommendations that lead to problem resolution.
- Understand the functionality and mechanics of IPV4 sub-netting,
route summarization and network protocols practical applications on
a LAN/WAN environment.
- Assemble technical documentation of network site surveys,
project plans, Visio network diagrams depicting network physical
layouts, and wiring schemes.The requirements listed above may be
acquired through various types of experience, education and/or
Equivalent to possession of a bachelor's degree in computer
science, information systems, business, or a closely related field;
Equivalent to possession of a bachelor's degree in any field and
one (1) year of experience in business information technology
performing requirements analysis and documentation, system design
and implementation and/or application maintenance and management,
plus two (2) additional years of experience in software development
Three to five years of experience in a hospital or clinical
settingANDFour (4) years experience delivering infrastructure
design and operational excellence.
Four (4) years working on general LAN support, desktop support,
Windows server installation, administration and support which
Three (3) years experience with installation, configuration and
programming of routers and switches;
Three (3) years of experience working with network management and
monitoring tools, such as: WorksVendor imbedded tools sets such as
CISCO, Meraki, NetAop & MicrosoftSolar Winds, Sniffer Protocol
LAN/WAN Analyzer, and SNMP. Extensive experience in LAN/WAN
integration, maintenance and troubleshooting, and extensive
experience configuring and maintaining routing protocols, such as
EIGRP, BGP, OSPF and RIP.
Experience in supporting data communications environments including
configuration and administration of Virtual Private Networks
(VPNs), Firewalls, and security policy management;
Licenses and Certifications:
Two (2) or more certifications from Cisco, such as CCNA, CCDA,
CCNP, CCDP, CISCO Meraki Solutions Specialist and Microsoft
MCSEAdditional InformationCONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Natividad requires that all incumbents pass a pre-employment
- Natividad will conduct a thorough background and reference
check process, which includes a Department of Justice fingerprint
- Employees who drive on County business to carry out job related
duties must possess a valid CA Driver License for the class vehicle
- Employees must have and show their original Social Security
Card and a valid CA Driver License or CA State ID prior to the
first day of work.
- Incumbents may be required to work all shifts, including
weekends and holidays; and work with potentially hazardous and
infectious substances.**REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS AND
SCREENING PROCESS** The screening process is tentative. Should a
change be made, applicants will be notified. The competitive
APPLICATION SUBMISSION: A completed Monterey County Application and
responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire, must be submitted for
a guaranteed review to the Natividad Human Resources Office, 1441
Constitution Blvd., Bldg. 300, Salinas, CA. 93906 OR on-line
applications may be submitted at WWW.Natividad.com Optional resume
may be attached to the on-line application or emailed separately
to: GarciaDL@natividad.com, resume will be accepted in addition to,
but not in lieu of the required application materials. For more
information or to receive application materials, you may contact
the NMC Human Resources Office at (831) 783-2700. Office hours, M -
F, 7:30a.m.- 5 p.m.
QUALIFICATIONS APPRAISAL: Completed application materials will be
competitively evaluated. The best-qualified applicants will be
invited to participate further in the process.
QUALIFICATIONS ASSESSMENT: To further assess applicants'
possessions of required qualifications, this process may include an
oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exam, or physical
ELIGIBLE LIST: Applicants successful in the Qualifications
Assessment process will be placed on an eligible list for possible
final selection interview. This eligible list will be used to fill
current and future vacancies.
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test
accommodation, please contact the HR Analyst for Natividad Medical
Center at (831) 783-2711.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation
verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary
position you will not be eligible for the benefits.Natividad offers
up to a $5,000.00 sign-on bonus to candidates hired into a
Keywords: Natividad Medical Center, Salinas , Hospital Network & Systems Engineer, Healthcare , Salinas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!