Company: 21st Century Oncology
Posted on: July 7, 2019
PURPOSE: The Radiation Therapist coordinates, plans, and
administers high quality and comprehensive age/disease appropriate
radiotherapy to oncology patients of all age groups by utilizing
equipment, computers, and established techniques to ensure a
positive patient experience. Demonstrating radiation safety
standards with patient and staff members is essential. ESSENTIAL
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare or construct equipment, such as immobilization,
treatment, or protection devices.
- Position patients for Simulation and Treatment with accuracy,
according to prescription.
- Administer prescribed doses of radiation to specific body
parts, using radiation therapy equipment according to established
practices and standards.
- Properly document simulations, treatments and patient care
activities in the EMR.
- Assists other department with matters of proper
- Check radiation therapy and simulation equipment to ensure
proper operation following established quality assurance and
- Reports machine and equipment problems following the
- Review prescription, diagnosis, patient chart, and
identification before initiating treatment.
- Follow principles of radiation protection for patient, self,
and others- ALARA.
- Observe and reassure patients during treatment and report
unusual reactions to physician.
- Respond to medical emergencies by calling 911 and notifying the
physician, nurse and supervisor on duty immediately. Document the
time 911 is called and the time responders arrive.
- Check for side effects, such as skin irritation, nausea, or
hair loss to assess patients' reaction to treatment; notify
appropriate staff (Lead/Sr. Therapist, Nurse or Physician)
- Educate, prepare, and reassure patients and their families by
answering questions, providing physical assistance, and reinforcing
physicians' advice regarding treatment reactions or post-treatment
- Efficiently coordinates and plans patient schedule(s) to
- Interacts with both internal and external customers
- Train or supervise students and assist with acclimating newly
hired Radiation Therapists
- Attend and participate in mandatory work related meetings and
training sessions including Chart Rounds.
- Perform documented chart reviews and reports issues to the Lead
or Sr. Therapist.
- Assigns Tasks using the electronic health record- EMR to
communicate pending work.
- Provide float coverage during idle time to other areas of
- Depending on the location the Radiation Therapist must be able
to operate all types of radiation therapy machines and CT simulator
technology at assigned location utilizing the latest treatment
techniques including 3D Conformal, IMRT, SRS/SBRT, IGRT, and
- Cross Training - develops plan with Lead or Sr. Therapist to
cross-train on equipment and technology where unfamiliar, but
allowed under licensure or certification.
- Maintain a productive relationship with the physics and
dosimetry departments. Follow established practice patterns to
ensure the timely readiness of treatment plans, including QA for
initiating patient treatment and follow-up.
- Follow the established Machine Problem Reporting process to
ensure proper reporting is complete per policy.
- Reconciles daily treatment counts to the captured DTS counts to
ensure accuracy and reports inaccuracies to the Lead/Sr. Therapist
- Assists with generating statistical reports as required by
Administration i.e. weekly patient forecasts
- Notifies supervisor of sick time before the start of next
scheduled shift and days thereafter.
- Requests vacation time in advance in order for the supervisor
to arrange coverage.
- Understands the possibility for after hours and weekend
therapist coverage as assigned.
- Follow the code of ethics and practice standards set by the
ARRT and ASRT.
- Compliant with all licensure and certification requirements to
perform job as required by State law and company policy.
- Follows established policies and procedures for reporting
- Reports work related injuries to the supervisor
- Reports unsafe equipment or work conditions to supervisor
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled
technical/clinical staff meetings
- Acknowledge new or revised policies and procedures through
in-service documentation form.
- Participates in OSHA related activities, including drills.
- Ensure that required competencies and mandatory training and
compliance activities are completed as assigned.
- Monitors supply levels of department and reports to supervisor
before zero inventories. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Complies with and
supports all company/departmental policies and procedures.
Consistently exceeds a required level of performance. Acts as a
positive role model in complying with all safety regulation
governed by such agencies as OSHA and HIPAA. Demonstrates knowledge
about utilization of proper equipment and body mechanics (lifting)
consistently applies this knowledge and shares it with staff
members. Promotes and emphasizes strong team work. EDUCATION AND/OR
- Graduate of an approved School for Radiation Therapy.
- ARRT Registered Technologist (T)
- State licensed (mandatory where required)
- Must be in good standing with all CE and license
- CPR certified
Keywords: 21st Century Oncology, Salinas , Radiation Therapist, Healthcare , Salinas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!