Company: sakata seed america, inc.
Posted on: November 27, 2019
JOB SUMMARY: Provide technical and non-technical assistance to the
Salinas breeder support pathologist by performing and coordinating
a variety of tasks (e.g., assist in the scheduling of routine
disease resistance screens, raise healthy seedlings, and help
inoculate plants used in disease screens, help with note-taking on
disease reactions, cleanup of pathology equipment, greenhouse,
laboratory and headhouse). Provide assistance to other pathology
activities, such as seed health testing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Assist with screening of germplasm for disease resistance in
the laboratory, greenhouse and field; this includes the growing of
healthy plants and the inoculation of plants for the evaluation of
plant reaction to disease.
- Prepare planting mix, sow seeds, grow and care for plants
(including watering, fertilization and pest control).
- Assist with maintenance, housekeeping, and cleanup of pathology
equipment, greenhouse, laboratory, and headhouse.
- Assist with note taking and basic data entry for various
- Good basic math and language skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills and good
- Ability to do accurate and detailed work under time constraints
and deadlines, and able to adjust to seasonal surges in
- Ability to do routine and repetitious work for several hours in
the laboratory, greenhouse, or field.
- Ability to quickly adapt and be receptive to changing work
demands, techniques, and/or approaches.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Accuracy, efficiency, good dexterity and visual acuity are
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks and duties.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary
projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and
- Bachelor's degree in microbiology, biology or related field.
Associate degree with demonstrated competence may substitute for
the bachelor's degree.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- No direct work experience required, but education or experience
in agriculture/horticulture or laboratory work desirable.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be willing to work overtime hours, including some weekends
and holidays, as requested.
- Must be able to work with chemicals, pesticides and other
possibly irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear protective equipment when necessary and/or
required (e.g., lab coat, gloves, respirator).
- Must be able to stand or sit for several hours at a time (up to
70% of time).
- Must be able to do some lifting of items (
Keywords: sakata seed america, inc., Salinas , Pathology Technologist, Healthcare , Salinas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!