JBCT Competency Trainer
Posted on: February 5, 2020
Under the direction of the Health Services Administrator (HSA),
Program Manager (PM), or higher licensed health professional, the
Competency Trainer is an education specialist or RN/LVN with
teaching experience who is primarily responsible for the
educational and training component of the competency program. The
Competency Trainer will utilize several cognitive remedial or
restructuring techniques to teach basic legal concepts, as well as
help the inmate understand his/her own legal situation in
compliance with all applicable standards, state and federal rules
- RN or LVN or teacher certification/licensure
- Certification in Correctional Competency Training
- Previous correctional/detention facility experience
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience
- RN, LVN, or teacher certification preferred.
- Current (and must maintain) lifesaving BLS certification
- Must obtain and maintain security clearance throughout the
course of employment.
- Must pass background investigation conducted by the Company
and/or Facility as a requisite for initial and or continued
- May be required to undergo reasonable suspicion testing for
being under the influence of controlled substances, including
prescription, legal, and illegal substances, including
- Must undergo security training and orientation on Facility
Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Must follow county facility policies and procedures.
- Strict adherence to Department of State Hospital (DSH) and
company Policy & Procedure (P&P) Manual as it relates to the
duties of the Competency Trainer.
- Work cooperatively with the Sheriffs Office team and foster
supportive relationships between staff and Sheriffs
- Obtain medication history, verify current medication, consult
with medical provider/psychiatrist to continue psychotropic
medications, and discuss conditions falling outside protocol
- Facilitate individual (1:1) training/tutoring with patients to
review their specific case and how to assist their
- Provide weekly/daily group training, learning and education in
a creative and multimodal format, utilizing discussions, reading,
video, and role-playing in a group treatment setting.
- Facilitate experiential methods such as "mock trial" exercises
for the patient with the involvement of the treatment
- Educational components for the program include but are not
limited to: Charges, severity of charges, sentencing, pleas,
plea-bargaining, roles of courtroom personnel, adversarial nature
of the trial process, evaluating evidence, etc.
- Document all findings in patients record providing written
summaries of history and treatment course or other documentation
requirements as outlined by company and Facility.
- Participate in weekly Treatment Team meetings.
- If the Competency Trainer is also an RN/LVN, complete monthly
nursing assessments and health screenings of the Jail Based
Competency Treatment (JBCT) patients.
- Assist in IMO/ALJ processes, as needed.
- May assist in the job shadow portion of the interview process
of potential staff.
- May assist in orientation and training of new
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of emergency care methods and
- In-depth knowledge of health and safety guidelines and
procedures and willingness to follow them at all times
- Demonstrated ability to work on a computer including but not
limited to: using the Internet, Microsoft Office products and
Electronic Medical Record system
- Ability to touch type on a keyboard, operate basic office
equipment including but not limited to using mouse and/or stylus to
do electronic health documentation records
- Knowledge of 1370/IST patients and competency restoration
treatment, and patients with major mental illnesses
- Skillful in group facilitation.
- Demonstrates knowledge of universal precautions and the blood
borne pathogen rules
- Identifies problems in a timely manner and skillfully gathers
and analyzes information then practically and creatively resolves
- Maintains a professional attitude while communicating and
speaking with colleagues, patients and clients at all times,
maintains confidentiality, remains open to others ideas, and
exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Speaks effectively and professionally, speaks clearly and
persuasively in positive or negative situations and demonstrates
group presentation skills.
- Develops professionally written communications, edits work for
spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively, and can
read and interpret written information.
Prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently, and
develops realistic action plans.
- Demonstrates accuracy thoroughness and monitors own work to
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing
demands, and can deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected
- Follows through with commitments, is consistently at work and
on time, can be counted on by others, is continuously productive,
follows instructions, responds to management direction, and
solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Promotes and personally observes safety and security
procedures, uses equipment and materials properly and takes
necessary action to report incidences.
- Compliant with job applicable license(s) and/or
certification(s), attends staff meetings and all required monthly,
quarterly and annual trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Wellpath is a EOE Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Employer
Keywords: Wellpath, Salinas , JBCT Competency Trainer, Human Resources , Salinas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!