Departmental Information Systems Specialist
Company: County of Monterey, CA
Posted on: January 7, 2021
Open Date: September 11, 2020
Priority Screen Date: September 25, 2020
Final Filing Date: Open until Filled
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Monterey County Health Department, Clinic Services Bureau is
seeking individuals for the position of Departmental Information
Systems Specialist (DISS). The DISS acts as a resource person for
users of specialized automated systems (i.e. EPIC Electronic
Medical Record) providing support, training, and instruction
related to the use of computer applications to staff. This position
will be first response to users; coordinate with vendors, Health
Department IT, and Monterey County IT to resolve issues; and
suggest, implement and support process improvements based on system
and operational knowledge.
The Clinic Services Bureau operates seven clinics, including the
Alisal Health Center, Seaside Family Health Center, Monterey County
Health Clinic at Marina and the four Laurel Clinics located in
Salinas, which include Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Laurel
Vista, NIDO and Pediatrics.
This classification is part of a flexible series. Incumbents
appointed at the lower level of the career series may be promoted
up to the higher level of the career series subject to their
meeting the employment standards for the higher class and a
recommendation for their promotion by the appointing authority in
accordance with the Flexible Staffing Program and Guidelines.
The eligible list established from this recruitment process may be
used to fill the current and future vacancies on a regular
full-time, part-time, or temporary basis County-wide.
Examples of Duties
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record in the following areas:
- Act as a resource person for users: answer questions, perform
first level problem diagnosis and correction, and resolve
- Assist in identifying and resolving routine systems problems
(programs, work stations, and related hardware and
- Confer with department staff regarding changes in manual and
computer system design; collaborate with others (including vendors)
to improve effectiveness of system.
- Make recommendations for improvements.
- Assist in preparing information of changes for users,
instructional materials, and/or staff development tools for
- Document and track systems problems and write reports on
- May complete, prepare, generate and distribute production
reports and statistics.
- Capability and limitations of various computer operating
systems including DOS, Windows, and networks.
- Internet Operation and use, including browser and file transfer
- Training principles, practices, methods, and techniques of
automated system applications.
- Computer applications and/or systems used in data management;
such as Excel, Word Access, etc.
- Principles and practices of recordkeeping.
- Customer service techniques
Skill in and Ability to:
- Identifying, evaluating, and researching application systems,
problems and coordinating corrective actions as required, with
computer support personnel
- Gathering information and analyzing data to establish and
maintain system user protocol.
- Organizing, prioritizing, scheduling, and coordinating workflow
to meet project deadlines.
- Providing excellent and courteous customer service with staff
and the public and establishing and maintaining effective working
relationships. Communicate with vendors regarding problems and user
- Make recommendations for system and operational
- Read and comprehend written materials on wide variety of
application system subjects.
- Maintain confidentiality of information in accordance with
legal standards and/or County regulations.
- Communication technical information clearly and effectively
with all levels of staff in the organization, both orally and in
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Independent worker
- Strong team player
- Detail oriented
- Meets deadlines/prioritization
- Time management skills
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired
through various types of education, training, and/or experience,
High School Diploma and two (2) years of experience working with
computer systems in a relevant environment
An Associate of Science degree in computer science, computer
information systems or a closely related field, and minimum of one
(1) year of experience working with computer systems, preferably in
a similar environment.
Conditions of Employment:
As a condition of employment, the incumbent will be required
- Be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings,
weekends, holidays and during times of disaster or
- Successfully pass an extensive background investigation to the
satisfaction of the Appointing Authority with the ability to be
bonded. The Health Department will conduct thorough background and
reference checks which include a Department of Justice fingerprint
check. The Applicant will be required to execute a consent and
waiver for the background investigation.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver's
License with a satisfactory driving record.
For a complete job description please visit
(Download PDF reader)
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
TO APPLY: Submit the following to the Monterey County Health
Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas,
CA 93906 by the Priority Screen Date: Friday, September 25,
- Monterey County Employment Application form
- Responses to the Supplemental Questions
Or apply on-line at www.co.monterey.ca.us/personnel
All application materials must be received by the priority
screening date for a guaranteed review. Applications
received after this date will be considered on a needed basis until
the position is filled. Please be aware if the
application form and responses to supplemental questions is not
submitted by the priority screening date, the
application will be removed from further consideration and not be
considered further. The selection process is tentative, and
applicants will be notified if changes are made.
Resumes may be submitted, but will not be accepted in lieu of
required application materials.
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those
applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified
will be invited to participate further in the process. To further
assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this
examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise,
performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written
For more information or to receive application materials, contact
the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519.
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test
accommodations, please call the Health Department Human Resources
Office at 831-755-4519.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation
verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary
position, your salary will be hourly and you will not be eligible
for the benefits listed below.
The County offers an excellent benefits package (J Bargaining
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary
of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website.
This information is intended to provide you with a general summary
of benefits available and is not legally binding. The benefits
listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices
Resolution or "J" MOU prevails over this listing.
more information (J Bargaining Unit Benefit Summary Sheet.)
Monterey County is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity
employer. The County seeks candidates who can make contributions in
an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity. Monterey County
provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.
If you believe you possess a disability that would require test
accommodation, please call the Human Resources Analyst at (831)
Keywords: County of Monterey, CA, Salinas , Departmental Information Systems Specialist, IT / Software / Systems , Salinas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!