Genetic Purity Technologist
Company: sakata seed america, inc.
Posted on: March 17, 2020
JOB SUMMARY: Primary responsibility is the application of
routine genetic purity (DNA and isozyme) testing for quality
assurance (hybrid purity, variety ID, and ploidy) program. This
position provides routine support for all activities as
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Perform routine genetic purity testing on genotyping platforms,
standard PCR, and isozyme methods including setting up tests,
collecting and preparing plant tissue, running PCR, preparing gels,
performing electrophoresis, staining gels, and assisting in the
evaluation of results.
- Responsible for ploidy testing
- Maintain chemical stock solutions and laboratory equipment,
assist in the handling of hazardous waste, maintain lab
- Assist in entering data on computer regarding incoming samples
- Assist in research (including new variety protocol development,
improving or changing existing procedures and assistance with
support projects for other departments).
- Help with technical supervision of trainees, temporary
employees, and others in the lab as delegated by lab
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic chemistry principles and techniques
- Must be able to interact cooperatively with job supervisors,
lab personnel and other research staff.
- Must have excellent spatial perception, mathematical aptitude,
auditory discrimination, visual discrimination, manual dexterity,
and mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Must have basic understanding of laboratory equipment
- Must be able to learn appropriate technical and semi-technical
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary
projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and
- Must have the ability to organize and prioritize work.
- B.S. degree in Plant Science, Biology, Chemistry, or related
field preferred; or AA degree in Biology, Chemistry, plus two or
more years of relevant lab work experience.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Employment-related laboratory experience required.
- Experience with molecular marker or similar tests
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work with hazardous laboratory chemicals and
other possible irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when
necessary and/or required. (Protective gloves, safety glasses & lab
coat 60-80% of the time, respirator 15% of the time).
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
Keywords: sakata seed america, inc., Salinas , Genetic Purity Technologist, Other , Salinas, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!