Police Officer (Lateral/Pre-Service) for the City of Sebastopol
Company: The Local Government Services/Regional Government
Location: Carmel Valley
Posted on: June 23, 2022
The Sebastopol Police Department is moving forward in its pursuit
of community policing as a philosophy, management style, and an
organizational strategy that promotes police and community
partnerships. We know great people like you can help us build it
If you want to be part of a department that is dedicated to
providing outstanding law enforcement services to the community and
is a service-oriented agency that prides itself on integrity,
professionalism, and concern for the quality of life in our
community, we invite you to apply.
The City of Sebastopol Police Department is seeking qualified
candidates for the position of Police Officer
(Lateral/Pre-Service). This recruitment is being conducted to
create an eligibility list to fill potential current and future
vacancies. Regional Government Services and its staff is conducting
this recruitment for the City of Sebastopol.
Under the direction of the Chief of Police, Police Lieutenant, or
Police Sergeant, Police Officers in the city of Sebastopol perform
law enforcement and crime prevention work, control traffic flow and
enforce state and local traffic regulations, and perform related
work as required. Police Officers serve an eighteen (18) month
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The ideal candidate for this position is an energetic, motivated,
and responsible individual who has strong interpersonal skills and
a customer service orientation. Candidates who have a solid work
history and a demonstrated interest in law enforcement are
encouraged to apply. The pursuit of formal education is also
In addition, the candidate will:
* Possess a valid graduation certificate from a California Basic
P.O.S.T. accredited Police Academy by date of appointment.
* Be 21 years old by date of appointment as a Police Officer.
* Possess a high school diploma, G.E.D., or High School Equivalency
* Possess a valid California driver's license and satisfactory
driving record as a condition of initial and continued
* Not have any felony convictions and/or disqualifying criminal
* Be a citizen of the United States or be a permanent resident
alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship at least
one year prior to application date. (Application for citizenship
shall not have been denied).
* Demonstrate ability to evaluate and analyze circumstances and
situations in order to apply knowledge and decide appropriate
* Demonstrate the ability to assimilate, interpret, remember,
recall, relate and act upon facts and details heard, observed, and
read; follow oral and written instructions.
* Demonstrate initiative, alertness, integrity, reliability,
courtesy, and good judgement.
* Be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
with a variety of people of various educational and socio-cultural
* Identify, adopt, and exhibit appropriate demeanor and behaviors
(interpersonal abilities) in order to deal effectively with a
variety of people.
* Write clearly, accurately, concisely, and legibly using
grammatically correct construction, spelling, and punctuation.
* Have the ability to work regular hours, days, overtime, weekends,
holidays, variable shifts, evenings, on call and emergency call
* Be of good moral character.
* Enforce laws regardless of personal ethics or feelings.
* Be in sound physical condition and demonstrate a state of
physical and mental health consistent with the ability to perform
assigned duties and the requirements of California Peace Officer
Standards and Training.
* Have the physical tolerance to work under adverse environmental
conditions, extended or disrupted work schedules, stressful
circumstances, and repetitive, routine conditions.
* The ability to speak, read, and/or write in the Spanish language
is highly desirable.
ABOUT THE CITY
The City of Sebastopol is a small semi-urban community located in
Sonoma County, California. The City, incorporated in 1902,
currently has a population of about 7,800 and serves the West
County trade area population of about 50,000. The City of
Sebastopol has a Council-Manager form of government, with five
Council members elected at-large. The City has its own Police,
Fire, and Public Works departments, as well as other City
Sebastopol's low crime rate, outstanding schools and superior
quality of life has made it a highly desirable community. In 2016,
Sebastopol was ranked #3 on Livability's list of "10 Best Small
Towns 2016". It also has been designated as a "Slow City," joining
over 200 small towns throughout the world that are committed to
staying green, local, friendly, and artistic. For more information
about the City of Sebastopol, please visit
Examples of Duties
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other
duties may be assigned):
* Patrols the City in radio-equipped car and on foot to observe,
investigate and report suspicious and hazardous conditions, and
apprehends and arrest law violators.
* Responds to routine and emergency calls for protection of life
and private property and the enforcement of City, County and State
* Investigates crimes, accidents, deaths, and disturbances and
gathers evidence; interviews, questions, and takes statements from
complainants, suspects, and witnesses, and completes case
* Directs traffic, including regulation of vehicle flow at times of
emergency, congestion, or special events; stops drivers who are
operating vehicles in violation of laws; warns drivers against
unlawful practices; issues citations and makes arrests as
* Collects and preserves evidence; appears in court to present
evidence and testimony in connection with criminal prosecution.
* Attends fire scenes to assist in the protection of life and
property; administers first aid in emergency situations.
* Serves warrants, subpoenas, writs, and other legal documents.
* Prepares reports of arrests made, investigations conducted, and
unusual incidents observed.
* Operates applicable radio communications equipment.
* Assists in booking and caring for prisoners.
* Provides information and direction to the public and assist in
developing community crime prevention programs, and may speak
before businesses, school, civic and social groups.
* As assigned may assist in conducting special studies of traffic
or other police issues.
* Makes every reasonable effort to continually improve the manner
in which the job is performed and increase the quality of service
to the public.
* Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
* Modern police methods and procedures, including patrol, crime
prevention, traffic control, investigation and identification
techniques, standard radio broadcasting, and police reports.
* Criminal law, including apprehension, arrest and custody of
persons committing misdemeanors and felonies.
* Rules of evidence pertaining to the search, seizure, and
preservations of evidence in traffic and criminal cases.
* Deal effectively and fairly with the public, department
supervisors, administrators, and fellow officers. Demonstrate keen
powers of observations and memory.
* Safely use and care for firearms.
* Think and act quickly and judge situations and people
* Understand and apply laws and regulations.
* Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
* Prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports.
* Understand and carry out clear oral and written instructions.
* Establish and maintain cooperative and effective relationships
with those contacted in the course of work.
* Meet the physical requirements established by the department.
EXPERIENCE and EDUCATION
Possession of a high school diploma or equivalency such as a
General Education Degree (G.E.D.) or High School Equivalency
certificate and one to three months related experience and/or
training; or equivalent combination of education and
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Possession of valid California Class C driver's license and a
satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued
employment and upon appointment, possession of certificate of
completion of a Basic Police Academy certified by California Peace
Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) at the time of
Citizenship: Must be a citizen of the United States (or a permanent
resident alien who is eligible for, and who has applied for,
citizenship at least one year prior to application for employment.
Application for citizenship shall not have been denied.)
Age: The candidate shall be at least 21 years of age at the time of
Weight: Weight shall be in good proportion with height.
Hearing: The candidate shall have normal hearing.
Vision: The candidate shall possess normal color vision. Each eye
must be free of any abnormal condition or disease and acceptably
corrected to 20/30.
Physical and Mental Condition: The candidate shall be of sound
physical condition; in good health, and free from chronic disease,
impairment of bodily function, loss or impairment of the use of any
digit; be of adequate physical stature, and possessing strength,
endurance and agility demonstrable in tests of physical
performance. The candidate shall be of good mentality and emotional
maturity and free from history of psychosis or psychoneurosis, or
other disabling defects, as demonstrable in pre-employment
Character and Background: The candidate must successfully complete
a background investigation as a condition of initial employment
with the Sebastopol Police Department. The investigation must show
that the candidate possesses traits including initiative,
alertness, integrity, reliability, courtesy, and good judgement;
and has not been convicted of any felony or misdemeanors involving
Spanish Speaking ability is highly desirable, but not required.
Positions in the class are occupied by uniformed and armed police
personnel. Shift schedules and job assignments may be rotational.
The duties involve both field and office work and may require
frequent public contact including difficult or tense
Work may include prolonged sitting, moderate to heavy lifting (from
25lbs-100lbs +), reaching, climbing, stooping, twisting, grasping,
crawling, pulling, and pushing activities. The position also
emphasizes speech, hearing, and vision attributes.
A comprehensive benefit package includes:
* Choice of Kaiser or REMIF Anthem Blue Cross Health Insurance for
employee and dependents
* Employer contributes 100% Kaiser premium. Employee pays premium
difference for Blue Cross
* Employer contributes 100% Dental & Vision Benefits
* Life Ins. - $50,000 for employee. Increased coverage may be
purchased by employee
* Long-term Disability Ins. administered through PORAC
* Child Care Benefits - Optional in exchange for dental
* PERS Pension Plan (3% @ 50 for Classic Members. 2.7% @ 57 for
PEPRA Members (hired after 1/1/13). Uniform Allowance is not
PERSable income for PEPRA members
* Uniform reimbursement: $1,000 for full-time sworn Police Officer
per fiscal year
* New hire receives one-time payment of $800 for purchase of
* Deferred Compensation Plans are available
* Worker's Compensation benefits
* Vacation, and Sick Leave accrual benefits.
* 14 paid Holidays; Funeral, Medical, Family & Personal Leave
* Payroll Direct Deposit
* Overtime, On Call, Court Time, Field Training, Relief Shift,
Graveyard Shift, K9 Handler Incentive, and Bilingual Incentive
* Longevity Pay granted after completion of 8 years at 2%, 15 years
at 4% and 20 years at 6%
* Section 125 pre-tax premium plan available
* Mileage Allowance & Business Travel expense reimbursement per
* Please refer to the Sebastopol Police Officer's Association
(SPOA) Memorandum of Understanding for a comprehensive list of
benefits and services at Signed-MOU_CC-Adopted-9-3-19.pdf.aspx
APPLICATION PROCESS AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
DEADLINE TO APPLY: OPEN AND CONTINUOUS*
* This recruitment is Open and Continuous. Applications will be
accepted on a continuous basis. A first review of applications is
tentatively scheduled for November 8, 2021.
To apply for this position, please go to:
Applications must be submitted on-line through this applicant
tracking system. Materials must be complete and clearly indicate
the candidate meets the minimum qualifications. All statements made
on the application, resume, and supplemental materials are subject
If you have completed a California P.O.S.T Certified Basic Academy
course, you are required to upload a copy of your Certificate of
Completion to your application and submit it with your application
If you are currently enrolled in a California P.O.S.T. Certified
Basic Academy course, you are required to upload a copy of proof of
enrollment to your application and submit it with your application
False statements may be cause for immediate disqualification,
removal from eligibility list or discharge from employment. All
completed applications and supplemental questionnaires will be
reviewed to determine each applicant's ability to meet the minimum
work experience, training and education qualifications.
* Each application, answers to supplemental questions, and
associated documents will be reviewed to determine each candidate's
ability to meet the positions minimum qualifications.
* A combination of supplemental questionnaire, phone screen
interviews, and/or knowledge/skills exam may be used to determine
candidates who are most qualified.
* Candidates who are most qualified will be invited to an Oral
Interview Examination/Department Selection Interview at a date to
* A Qualified List is established through competitive examination,
which may consist of any combination of written examination,
practice test, simulation exercise and/or oral interviews.
* The most qualified candidates who are on the Qualified List may
be invited for a hiring interview and may be required to complete a
reference check a comprehensive background investigation. See "LAW
ENFORCEMENT Pre and Post Offer HIRING PROCESS" below.
* All candidates who are successfully hired as a result of this
recruitment will be required to complete an 18-month probationary
period following appointment.
LAW ENFORCEMENT Pre and Post Offer HIRING PROCESS: All employment
offers made by the City are contingent upon establishing proof of a
prospective candidate's legal authorization to work in the United
States and successfully passing all components of the
pre-employment process, such as: reference check, background
investigation, fingerprint criminal history check, post-offer drug
test, post-offer psychological and post-offer medical examination,
the cost of which will be borne by the City. EOE/ADA
LEGAL REQUIREMENT: On the first day of employment, new employees
must provide proof of citizenship or documentation of legal right
to work in the United States in compliance with the Immigration
Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Neither Regional Government Services nor the City of Sebastopol are
responsible for failure of internet forms or email transmission in
submitting your application. Additional inquiries about the
position may be directed to Barbara Duncan at
Applicants who may require special assistance in any step of the
selection process should advise RGS/by emailing email@example.com
upon submittal of application.
The City of Sebastopol is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. We do not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, marital status, medical condition or disability.
Please indicate whether you are applying as a Lateral Applicant, an
Academy Graduate (not currently employed as a Police Officer) or a
current Academy attendee.
* Lateral: I am a current full-time Police Officer in possession of
a California Basic P.O.S.T Certificate. As required, I will submit
proof of my P.O.S.T. Certificate with my application.
* Academy Graduate: I am a graduate of a California P.O.S.T Academy
and possess a California P.O.S.T Certified Basic Law Enforcement
Academy Certificate, but I am not a current full-time Police
Officer. As required, I will submit proof of this and my T-Score of
42.5 or higher (valid within the past 12 months) with my
* Current Academy Attendee: I am currently enrolled in a California
P.O.S.T. approved Basic Police Academy. As required, I will submit
proof of my enrollment with my application.
* None of the above.
If you are an Academy Graduate, please confirm that you have
attached your California P.O.S.T. Basic Academy Completion
Certificate to your application.
If you currently enrolled/attending a California P.O.S.T. approved
Basic Police Academy, please confirm that you have attached proof
of your enrollment with your application.
If you are currently enrolled in a California P.O.S.T. Certified
Basic Law Enforcement Academy, please indicate which academy you
are currently attending and your anticipated graduation date. If
you are not currently attending the academy, please indicate
Are you currently in possession of a valid Class C California
Please indicate your highest level of education.
* Some High School
* I possess a High School Diploma, a G.E.D., or a High School
* Some college or community college
* Bachelor's Degree
* Master's Degree or higher
Please indicate that you have included at least ten (10) years of
past work history in your application.
* I do not have 10 years of work history, but have included all of
my past work experience.
Are you able to read, write and/or speak a language other than
If you answered "Yes" to having the ability to read, write, and/or
speak a language other than English, please list the language(s) in
which you are bilingual. If you are not bilingual, please indicate
Applicants for the Police Officer position must meet minimum
standards. The following questions relate to the standards that the
City of Sebastopol Police Department has adopted as prima facie
disqualification for public safety applicants. I understand that
any material misstatement of fact or significant admission during
the application or background process shall be disqualifying,
including inconsistent statements made during the initial
background interview (Personal History Statement) or polygraph
examination or discrepancies between this background investigation
and other investigations conducted by other law enforcement
Do you understand you may not meet the positions minimum standards
if you have received three (3) or more moving violations (or a
single violation of a potential life threatening violation, i.e.,
reckless driving, speed contest, suspect of a pursuit, hit and run,
etc.) within three (3) years prior to application? (Moving
violations for which there is a factual finding of innocence shall
not be included.)
Do you understand you may not meet the minimum standards of the
position if you have been involved in two (2) or more chargeable
Keywords: The Local Government Services/Regional Government , Salinas , Police Officer (Lateral/Pre-Service) for the City of Sebastopol, Other , Carmel Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!